The ninth month of the Gregorian and Julian calendar is the month of September. In the Roman calendar it was the 7th month till 153 BC later becomes the 9th month when king Numa added the month of January and February to the Roman calendar. The month of September has 30 days in the Gregorian calendar whereas in the Roman calendar it only had 29 days. The reform was made the famous Julius Ceasar. As far as the seasons are concerned with this month, the month of September marks the beginning of the autumn season in the northern hemisphere and spring season in the southern hemisphere. The ecclesiastical year also starts in the month of September according to the Eastern Orthodox Church. The month is known as the Herbstmonat, harvest month, in Switzerland as it is the time for the harvesting of crops. The month is symbolized by many things like;
- The birthstone of the month of September is sapphire.
- Forget-me-not, morning glory and aster are the birth flowers of the month
- The zodiac signs for the month of September are Virgo and Libra. The end and start of the month is related to equinox. Virgo ends at the 22nd of the month and Libra starts at the 23rd of the month.
The famous events and festivals that took place in history and still take place during the month of September are listed below, along with these there are many other festivals and celebrations that take place religiously and culturally, depending on the beliefs of the people around the globe.
- Amerindian Heritage Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Awareness Month
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month
- National Chicken Month
- National Rice Month
- National Potato Month
- First Monday of September is celebrated as the labor day
- Pardon Day is celebrated on the 8th of September
- Mexican Independence Day is on the September 16th